Homemade pancakes have many variations but the most popular homemade pancakes are the buttermilk pancakes. Pancakes we make at home are more tasty and healthier than those we buy. Homemade buttermilk pancakes when properly made are extra light and taste better than candies and other sweets. Pancakes are very easy and fast to make. The ingredients are cheap and you can be creative with topping. You can add fruits to your pancakes or even honey if you like. If your kids like eating sweet things and you want to give them something more nutritious than sugary products from the supermarkets, make homemade pancakes with less sugar and with jam topping instead of this. Homemade pancake is more than just saving money, it is a creative act that shows you care at many levels. Kids devouring pancakes that come from your hand is about as good as it gets.
I have tried many pancake recipes over last few years. As I have two kids, I always try to find new way to squeeze extra vitamins and nutrients to their meals. And I consider pancakes to be great snack which can be filled with some healthy ingredients. The hands down winner so far is oatmeal buttermilk pancake. My whole family loves these pancakes. Combined with the nutty-oat flavour and banana it makes perfect breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner.
Remember that oats need plenty of time to do their soaking- and as an added bonus, these pancakes can also be made with rice, almond, or oat milk for those avoiding dairy products. Serve with extra sliced bananas, and chocolate syrup, if desired.
Basic Homemade Pancake Recipe
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs — beaten
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe banana — mashed with a fork
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
How to prepare homemade pancakes:
- In bowl, pour buttermilk over rolled oats; let stand 20 minutes.
- In another bowl, stir together flours, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Beat eggs, oil, and banana together. Add to dry ingredients along with buttermilk/oats mixture, stirring just until mixed.
- Heat a large greased skillet over medium to medium-high heat or a griddle.
- Pour in about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake and cook for about 3 minutes or until bubbles on top break but do not fill in, and bottoms are golden and set.
- Turn over and cook for about 2 minutes or until nicely set and golden brown.
- Serve pancakes with dressing if desired. Enjoy!
Kitchen Tools For Making Pancakes
Pancake Articles And Recipes
Find your favorite pancake recipe!
There are also a few other recipe websites that I would like to recommend. Apart from pancakes I am also crazy about waffles. There is a great site dedicated to that and it is filled with tasty waffles recipes for home cooking. They have lots and lots of recipes for different waffles from Belgian to Liege. Try it!
Then there is also a site that a like that has lots of stuff on potatoes. A big collection of potato recipes from mashed potatoes to potato salad, baked potatoes and potato candy. Lots and lots of different recipes for tasty potato meals. And they are all easy to make.