Pancake ingredients are very important if you want to prepare delicious homemade pancakes. Buttermilk is, of course the magic ingredient. It adds flavor and also acid which reacts strongly to the baking soda. Buttermilk makes homemade pancakes light. If you don’t have buttermilk, you can use milk instead.
Fresh flour makes a difference in pancake flavor and texture, because the simpler the recipe, the more vital high-quality ingredients are. So buy flour from a health food store or natural foods section of the grocery store. A really good bread flour also makes a difference.
Basic Homemade Pancake Ingredients:
Wet Pancake Ingredients:
- 1 egg
- 1.5 cups (350ml) buttermilk
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter – use microwave
Dry Pancake Ingredients:
- 1 cup (125g) white flour
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
How to make the homemade pancakes batter from these ingredients?
- Take two bowls.
- Put the wet ingredients into one bowl and whisk lightly.
- Put the dry ingredients into the other bowl and whisk lightly.
- Add roughly half of the dry mix into the wet mix and whisk smooth.
- Add remaining dry mix and whisk.
- Make sure the flour is all mixed.
- Don’t mix too long as it makes pancakes tougher.
- Make sure the batter is not runny.
- Let the batter rest for few minutes.
Now the batter is prepared and you can start making your own homemade pancakes:
- Test if the griddle or a frying pan is hot enough by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. If the drops dance and sizzle, it’s ready.
- Or check on the first pancake: if your pancake is browning on the bottom before bubbles appear on top, the griddle is too hot. And if the top becomes dry before the bottom is golden brown, the griddle is not hot enough.
- Drop a 1/4 cup scoop of batter onto the pan. You might need to spread it around just a bit if the batter is extra thick
- Cook your homemade pancake for about two minutes of until golden brown color. Then turn the pancake with spatula and again cook for two minutes or until golden brown.
Arrange pancakes nicely on a serving plate. Next warm the plats, butter and syrup. Heat syrup in the microwave for 15-25 seconds. Serve pancakes with the nicest sides facing in. You can garnish pancakes with a dusting of powder sugar, nuts, fresh fruit slices or cocoa. Top your homemade pancakes with some good topping. Be creative! It is time to try something new so move over maple syrup.
Here is a list of alternative pancake toppings you should try out:
- Whipped cream
- Peanut butter
- Chocolate syrup
- Cottage cheese
- Cream cheese
- Canned fruit pie fillings
- Ice cream
- Butterscotch sauce
Make homemade pancakes more delicious!
You can add some ingredients to pancake batter to make them even more delicious. I recommend chocolate chips. It is very easy to make and kids enjoy eating these homemade pancakes. All you have to do, is to pour the batter normally and sprinkle it with chocolate chips. Next, using the spoon “push” chocolate chips more into the batter.
Instead of chocolate chips, you can also try to add some blueberries, bananas or just spices like cinnamon or vanilla.
If you want to save some time and eat pancakes often, you can make your own mix to have handy. All you have to do, is to blend the dry pancake ingredients of your favorite recipe and store in airtight container id dry and cool place.
If you want to store your pancakes, you can freeze them in airtight plastic bag. When you want to reheat them, use the toaster or a regular oven. Put the oven to 350 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes. It is not recommended to use microwave.
Kitchen Tools For Making Pancakes
Pancake Articles And Recipes
Find your favorite pancake recipe!
There are also a few other recipe websites that I would like to recommend. Apart from pancakes I am also crazy about waffles. There is a great site dedicated to that and it is filled with tasty waffles recipes for home cooking. They have lots and lots of recipes for different waffles from Belgian to Liege. Try it!
Then there is also a site that a like that has lots of stuff on potatoes. A big collection of potato recipes from mashed potatoes to potato salad, baked potatoes and potato candy. Lots and lots of different recipes for tasty potato meals. And they are all easy to make.