Potato pancakes are also known as latkes or latkas in Yiddish and Hebrew. Potato pancakes are shallow- fried pancakes of grated egg and potato. Often pancakes are flavored with onion. I usually top my potato pancakes with a variety of condiments. Sometimes I like them savory, whereas the other time I make them sweet with sugar and applesauce. If you rather have a taste for savory potato pancakes, try them out with some sour cream- yummy. Many times I fed my family with these potato pancakes even without any toppings or sauces and still they were delicious and disappeared from the plates with a big speed.
Potato Pancakes are a very delicious and warm thing to eat. They have a lot more flavor and taste than other pancakes. Potato pancakes are commonly associated with traditional Polish, Ukrainian, German, Czech and Hungarian cuisine. Other countries like Belarus, India or Korea have similar potato pancakes.
Here, I present one of my favorite potato pancakes recipe. It is easy to make and you can serve your pancakes for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Potato Pancakes Recipe
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 medium baking potatoes
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp Canola oil
- 2 Tbsp coarsely grated onion
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
How to make Potato Pancakes:
- First, peel the potatoes and onion. Then shred them with a grater onto 2 paper towels. The, twist the towels and the potatoes over the sink to wring out the left liquid.
- Put potatoes to a mixing bowl.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Beat egg whites in a small bowl until foamy and add to the potatoes. Add also onions, pepper and salt. Add flour and toss gently to blend.
- Take a frying pan or a heavy non-stick skillet and brush it with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Preheat for about 2 minutes on a medium heat.
- Put about ½ cup of potatoes mixture on the frying pan. Cook pancake for about 7 minutes. Don’t forget about flipping them to the other side during the cooking. Pancakes should be browned and crispy.
- When ready, put your potato pancakes on the plate. Repeat the process with the remaining batter. Serve pancakes with applesauce or sour cream.
- You can put sugar on the pancakes after you fry them to give them extra flavor. But only if you want to make them sweet.
- When frying, use a generous amount of oil. I use peanut oil sometimes, which doesn’t burn during the cooking process.
Kitchen Tools For Making Pancakes
Pancake Articles And Recipes
Find your favorite pancake recipe!
There are also a few other recipe websites that I would like to recommend. If you like waffles then go to http://www.waffle-recipe.com, they have lots and lots of recipes for different waffles from Belgian to Liege. Then there is also this site that specializes in potato recipes and has a nice section on how to make potato pancakes, great for those leftover mashed potatoes - check them out!